Bio: Standing at a mighty 5′ 3″, Kester Nucum may be small, but he has a big personality. He is the founder and head blogger at LILbooKlovers, a book blog devoted mainly to MG and YA literature. Kester is currently enrolled as a senior at Henry County High School. He also sings and plays the violin, piano, and ukulele, though not all four at the same time. He loves to connect with readers and authors online, and you can find him on social media at @kesternucum or @lilbooklovers.
A Little More about Me:
- My five passions are God, Family, Books, Music, and Marketing!
- I am Filipino!
- I love and live the Catholic faith, and I thank God for all the many blessings in my life (including my blog). My beliefs are in accordance with the teachings of the Catholic Church.
- I plan on pursuing computer engineering in college.
- I love to travel and spend time in nature! Some of my favorite places that I’ve visited include the Smoky Mountains, Singapore, and the Philippines (of course).
- Yes, I know how to play “The Devil Went Down to Georgia” on the violin. (I’ve gotten asked this question so many times.)
About the Blog
Founded in May of 2016, LILbooKlovers is a Young Adult and Middle Grade book blog headed and designed by Kester Nucum. Through the blog, Kester aims to “Unite Book Lovers, Both Big and Li’l” from all around world. He frequently interviews and works with authors on a frequent basis, including New York Times and USA Today bestsellers, Newbery Honor awardees, debut novelists, and indie authors. LILbooKlovers takes on active roles in both the MG and YA community, and it is the home of the LILbooKtalk, a monthly online author panel where two authors discuss a single topic. Up to date, the blog has received over 20,000 views and over 11,000 visitors with an average of 980 views per month for the 2017 calendar year. Kester loves to connect with authors and readers online through email, the blog, Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.
- Young Adult and Middle Grade
- Historical Fiction (especially World War II)
My Top 11 Favorite Books/Series
- The Bible
- Bounders series by Monica Tesler
- Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys
- The Benefits of Being an Octopus by Ann Braden
- Out of Time trilogy by Nadine Brandes
- The Continuum Trilogy by Jennifer Brody
- Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys
- The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
- Strong Inside (Young Readers Edition) by Andrew Maraniss
- Starswept by Mary Fan
- Be Light Like a Bird by Monika Schröder
My Top 8 Favorite Authors
- Ruta Sepetys
- Monica Tesler
- Nadine Brandes
- Jennifer Brody
- Chelsea Sedoti
- Mindy McGinnis
- Mary Weber
- Jarrett Lerner
- Music: Violin, Singing, and Piano; listening to Eurovision music
- Videography and Video Editing
- Reading, of course! And reviewing books and meeting with authors!
- Member of Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA), Distributive Education Clubs of America (DECA), Leo Club, and National Honors Society (NHS)
- Serving as the President of HCHS DECA and Vice President of HCHS FBLA
- Learning about marketing and business
- Praying and Studying Some Catholic Apologetics
- Watching YouTube videos or episodes of Shark Tank, Young Sheldon, or Designated Survivor
Street Teams / Review Teams (Not Limited to Below)
- Nadine Brandes’s Ninjas
- Mary Weber’s Mad Hatters
- Mindee Arnett’s Onyx and Ivory Street Team
- Snowy Wings Publishing Elite Snow Angels
- Jessica Pennington’s The Tour Bus for Love Songs & Other Lies
- Shaila Patel’s Soulmated Squad
- Brooding YA Hero’s #BroodyBFF’s
- Elise Kova’s Street Team
- Kerri Maniscalco’s Knights of Whitechapel
- Kara Thomas’s Little Monsters Sleuthers