Hi there!! Thanks for having me on the blog!
1. Why do you love writing? When did you first have a love for writing, and how was it formed?
Okay, so here is my confession right off the bat – part of me always WANTED to write, but I considered myself rather horrible at it. Then about ten years ago, I went through this season where I just sort of hit pause on life. I distinctly remember feeling like I was missing a part of me. I even told my husband, “I know who I am as a wife, mother, youth counselor, etc…but I can’t find the other part of me.” During that time I began to write simply as a way to explore my soul and the beauty in others.
To be honest, I think that’s probably the reason I love writing so much – it feels a bit like a pause button in the midst of life’s busyness. One that allows us to take a step back, assess our thoughts, relationships, and perspectives on what we’re contributing to this world.
2. What are your favorite books, genres, and authors? Which ones have impacted you and your writing style the most?
AHHH I LOVE THIS QUESTION!! I think every book leaves a bit of itself in a reader’s soul, you know? Even years after we’ve moved on, we still owe aspects of who we are (as writers and humans) to those stories. For me, there are a bunch I could list (gah – I love them all)! However, a few that stand out are:
–THE SECRET GARDEN (This is the first book I remember being given. I read and reread it more times than I know, and I still own my copy.)
– WITHER by Destefano, & SHATTER ME by Mafi (Both were my first experiences with the type of gorgeous, first person narratives that are distinctive to YA and made me fall in love with it.)
– AGATHA CHRISTIE (My teen years were spent reading every mystery of hers.)
– DOSTOEVSKY (His ability in his stories to explore the depths of the human condition still astounds me, and it pushes me to dig deeper into my own stories.)
3. What do you do when you’re not writing? Is writing a part-time or full-time job?
Well…this is me.
And (like it is for most everyone else) life is pretty wild and busy these days.
I have three teens and a guy I’ve been married to for almost 20 years who is my best friend and anchor in life. (This is us.)
Writing and traveling to speak is definitely a full time job, but I also work part time as a youth counselor – which means I tend to fairly regularly have a houseful of teens sprawled throughout my kitchen and on the couches. I’m pretty sure I heard one of them recently refer to me as “Crazy, but sometimes wise,” so that should sum things up nicely for you. 😉 Outside of those, we live in California and love exploring the coast with our kids, hosting parties in our backyard under white lights, and slipping in time to read!
Continue reading “Reclaiming Shilo Snow Scavenger Hunt: Exclusive Interview with Mary Weber + TWO Giveaways!”